Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Random

Here are some tidbits floating in my mind today:

1. Tonight we have our final baby class at the hospital. We have taken quite a few, including Daddy Bootcamp (for Rob), Safety & CPR, and Breastfeeding 101. Tonight is Baby Care, where presumably they will tell us how to prevent dropping him and doing anything else stoopid. The cafeteria at the hospital is locally famous for having delicious food so we are thrilled to be having dinner there again. I know stereotypes abound about hospital food but their is stuff is genuinely delectable. People come from neighboring businesses just to eat there! On the night your baby is delivered they bring you steak and lobster. I, of course, will be on a liquid diet for two days but Rob is sure excited about it. He had a delicious cheese steak at last week's class and I enjoyed strawberry shortcake, LOL.

2. I was telling the ultrasound tech how nervous we are that the baby will be small due to the Heparin. During my weekly ultrasounds they don't measure for his weight because doing so week to week would be pointless. She knows how scared we are so she secretly measured to determine a guess of his weight and had the nurse give it to me. She is estimating him to be 6 pounds, 4 ounces. So tiny! This made me super sad. He doesn't get the benefit of 2 extra weeks in utero, where typically they put on the most weight, so I am bound and determined to do whatever I can to fatten him up.

3. I feel like a bag of bricks. The iron pills were helping for a while but I am hitting the wall quicker each day! I'm sure some of this has to do with being 9 months (tomorrow) and living in 105+ degree heat, but having never been pregnant before I have nothing to compare it to.

4. I realllllly need to stop procrastinating on doing the nursery. An inventory is desperately needed. I have an emotional hang-up on not having the right rug so I can put the furniture in the positions I want so I can start filling drawers. Silly, I know! My nesting instinct sucks! Ha!

5. In other news, I am starting to get super nervous. I can't believe God is going to loan me a baby. I'm so happy I can hardly stand it but I'd be lying if I didn't admit to being terrified, too. I remember a few years ago I saw my friend Carrie before she delivered her daughter. She had that gorgeous pregnancy glow and she was cool, calm and collected. I always hoped I'd be the same. Instead I am sweaty and nervous. Ha!

6. I am nervous to have out-of-town guests so quickly after delivering. I won't be in a position to play tour guide and I feel badly since Rob's brother, in particular, is viewing the trip as a summer vacation. I am also scared to try to learn to mother and nurse with an audience. People keep telling me I will lose all sense of modesty, and in many ways I have lightened up, but I am still nervous about my body being on display.

3 comments:

  1. It is tough those first few weeks. Hopefully his brother doesn't mind venturing out by himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe the baby is almost here! And thank you for your sweet comment, but I felt anything but glowing or calm. To your point about having guests so soon, just recognize that what God is asking you to focus on is this very new little life that he's entrusting you and Rob with, and guests can be responsible for their own entertainment. While I'm sure it goes against your instincts to not be hostly, you need to get your baby and yourself acclimated to this new reality and you won't be doing anyone a favor by stressing out about guests. And you are going to be wonderful. The modesty does go out the door a little, but in a wonderful natural way. Keep calm and carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Third pregnancy and I have never once taken a single baby preparation class. Perhaps I should have! I actually keep meaning to refresh my baby CPR, which I took years ago before kids and am no longer certified for. I like to think it'll come back to me if needed, but I shouldn't rely on that.

    I already feel like a bag of bricks. It's perfectly normal. I felt this way with both girls. But you're in the home stretch, so it's almost over.

    As for the breastfeeding around others, I was totally fine with it by the time Alexa was born, but never really felt comfortable the entire time I nursed Ava. There is an adjustment period where you are both learning what to do. It seriously took me until my second child to be able to feel like I knew what I was doing and it was all okay. Not very encouraging, I know, but it's the truth. I know that you sat with me once while I nursed in public. I think I did fine!

    ReplyDelete