Wednesday, April 16, 2014

"Just"

So, here are a few things I believe about prayer:

  1. There is nothing we can say that God doesn't already know. 
  2. A prayer doesn't have to be long. In fact, I have heard good arguments for why they should not be long. There are books on the subject, etc. 
  3. It's OK to pray for a long time because prayer should be a part of your relationship and therefore say what you need to say. 
  4. God hears every prayer. Every single one of them, big or small. 
  5. Your prayers matter to God!!

I have noticed that many, many people use the word "just" while praying. I am not judging their prayers but I find it curious. An example would be, "I just want to lift So-and-So up to you in prayer." "I just want to ask for your guidance, Lord."

Specifically, I am referring to when the word "just" is used as an adverb. See the meaning?

adverb
12. only or merely: He was just a clerk until he became ambitious.
 
I don't like it. No prayer is "just" a prayer. A prayer is a petition. It is important. It rubs me the wrong way when people use "just" in prayer because I feel like it cheapens what they're saying. 
 
And there's nothing cheap about prayer! I guess I just have to get over it because it is a very common thing to do. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment